Thursday, May 27, 2010

El Paso

As I mentioned in a previous post, the drive to El Paso was stunning. Sam and I were so grateful that Pat recommended Highway 90 because the scenery was breathtaking. I've never been out to the West before and being able to literally drive through dozens of counties and changing landscapes was an experience that I will always remember.

We took our time getting to El Paso, stopping along the side of the road to stand out in the middle of Highway 90 and take pictures of the desert scrub, mountains, railroad tracks, and a nearby thunderstorm. We were on Highway 90 until we were about 115 miles outside of El Paso and picked up I-10 again. I was shocked that the speed limit was 80!

We gained another hour because El Paso
is in the Mountain Time Zone, but we were still re
ady to get out of the car. Once we arrived in El Paso, we went directly to Judith's home, the midwife I am staying with for the summer. She showed us around the casita she had prepared for me and it is very cozy. She has worked so hard to get it ready for me after only moving into her house five weeks ago! She has it all stocked and furnished and I am extremely grateful for all she has done to prepare it for my arrival.

She recommended a Mexican restaurant, Ay Caramba, and Sam and I decided we were ready to try the authentic Mexican food we have heard so much about. Sam had chiles rellenos and I had a tortilla soup - they were fantastic and flavorful, just as native El Pasoans have described! We settled in for the evening in the casita and will spend the next few days getting some more necessary items and visiting White Sands, New Mexico tonight. It is a full moon and I have heard that the moon's reflection on the white sands is pretty spectacular. We hope to go on a hike tomorrow in the Franklin Mountains that are right near Judith's home and to the border to see and feel what it is like. Thanks for your patience with how slow I have been updating this and thank you for your continued support!

4 comments:

  1. First look at your web page. Great job, college girl. Now I can see how your summer is going when I return to Germany. Nice photos of the area. Good luck as you start your work next week. JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey angel! Thanks for the nice updates and pictures. Yes, Texas is just as I remembered...long expanses of flat, wide-open spaces. You were definitely deep in the heart of Texas! Looking forward to following your adventures. Have a great time in White Plains - should be beautiful with the full moon! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I-90 sounds like a terrific choice! If I ever head that way, I'll take that route so I can get a chance to see the *best* parts of Texas.
    I'm glad that the casita was comfortable for you. I'm excited to hear what the birth center is like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All caught up on your blog, and cannot wait to read more. Thinking of you! I'm quite jealous of all the cities you've seen and the authentic Mexican food you'll get to eat regularly. Sounds delicious. Love, Haysie

    ReplyDelete